E. & H. Dworkin
525 DUNDAS STREET WEST
E. & H. Dworkin Steamships and Bankers, later known as Dworkin Travel, was opened by brothers Henry (“Harry”) Dworkin and Edward Dworkin in 1917. The prosperous tobacco business and steamship agency provided many services to Jews immigrating from Europe and was operated by Henry and his wife Dorothy.
Steamship agents were integral to shaping the cultural landscape of Toronto as they assisted with the travel arrangements for thousands of Jewish immigrants to Canada. Additionally, they assisted them with naturalization papers and translation services, easing their settlement in Canada.
In the early twentieth century, steamship agents transacted business by booking passages on ocean liners and selling money orders. Jewish immigrants often sent money to their relatives back home who depended on this financial support.
Dorothy and Henry were one of the most influential couples in the early days of Toronto’s Jewish community. The duo worked vigorously to help European Jews immigrate to Canada. Henry co-founded the Labor Lyceum, a union hall that served as the headquarters for the local garment unions. Dorothy, a Jewish maternity nurse and midwife, was instrumental in establishing Mount Sinai Hospital on Yorkville Avenue.
Henry died in a car accident in 1928. A community of over 20,000 people paid tribute to and mourned his legacy. Dorothy took over the travel business and continued her charitable work within the Toronto Jewish community. The Dworkins were survived by their daughter, Ellen “Honey” Dworkin who was born in 1912.